Sunday, December 20, 2015

Jane Austen's Guide to Alzheimer's


Image from the Times article
Carol Adams writes in her essay in the Sunday, December 20, 2015 New York Times:
I came to Jane Austen’s “Emma” in my 50s.  During a caregiving crisis in my life, I lost count of how many times I read or listened to Austen’s novel. I turned her words over in my mind like a piece of slowly melting hard candy.

“Emma,” which was first published 200 years ago this month, is one huge paean to caregiving, depicting its hardships, demands and frustrations. Recognizing the challenges in Emma’s everyday life, I was no longer bothered by Emma; I felt my heart break for her.

It is amazing how much one can learn from a really great novel.  According to Ms. Adams, “Emma” is a textbook for care givers.  It is now on my list…

No comments:

Post a Comment